Math skills are important to a child's success – both at school and in everyday life. Understanding math also builds confidence and opens the door to a range of career options.
In our everyday lives, understanding math enables us to:
- manage time and money, and handle everyday situations that involve numbers (for example, calculate how much time we need to get to work, how much food we need in order to feed our families, and how much money that food will cost);
- understand patterns in the world around us and make predictions based on patterns (for example, predict traffic patterns to decide on the best time to travel);
- solve problems and make sound decisions;
- explain how we solved a problem and why we made a particular decision;
- use technology (for example, calculators and computers) to help solve problems.
Understanding Primary Math Part 1
This short video provides an overview of the Ontario Math curriculum in the primary grades, and suggests ways that parents and guardians can support learning at home. This video explains Number Sense and Numeration and Measurement.
Understanding Primary Math Part 2
This short video continues to provide an overview of the Ontario Math curriculum in the primary grades, and suggests ways that parents and guardians can support learning at home. This video explains Geometry and Spatial Sense; Patterning and Algebra; and Data Management and Probability.
Literacy and Numeracy Strategy
Today, critical thinking, problem solving, reasoning ability and the ability to communicate mathematically are essential skills. These processes are the foundation of mathematics instruction in Ontario schools. They are brought into play as you engage your child in the activities suggested in this guide. Enjoy learning together with these fun everyday activities organized by curriculum strand, K to 3 and 4 to 6.
This guide is also available in 13 other languages.
Inspiring Your Child to Learn and Love Math
The Council of Ontario Directors of Education have created an informative resource package for parents with strategies to help students of all ages in achieving success in math. This comprehensive resource package includes a series of online videos, strategies and tip sheets.
Visit www.tvokids.com for more games and resources to support your child's literacy, numeracy and science skills.